A buzz cut is a popular hairstyle that has been in trend for decades. It is a low-maintenance, practical, and timeless haircut that can make you look sharp and well-groomed.
There are different types of buzz cuts that cater to various hair types and preferences. Whether you want a fresh skin fade, balding buzz cut, faded buzz cut and beard for thick-haired men, or easy buzz cut for a receding hairline, there’s a buzz cut that will suit you.
In this article, we will discuss the different types of buzz cuts and the benefits they offer.
Are you planning to get a buzz cut but unsure about the length? Check out this Youtube video: “Buzz Cut Lengths Guide – Number 5 to Number 1 Buzz Cut” and learn all about the different lengths and which one suits you best!
If you want to rock a trendy buzz cut and make sure you’re choosing the right length, don’t miss this helpful guide! Watch the video now: “Buzz Cut Lengths Guide – Number 5 to Number 1 Buzz Cut”!
Types of Buzz Cuts
1. Number 5 Buzz Cut
The number 5 Buzz Cut is a popular choice for men who want a shorter, more practical haircut. This style is achieved by using a clipper guard that leaves hair 1/2 inch in length.
It can be a great option for men with round face shapes or larger heads, as it helps to balance out facial features. However, it may not be the best choice for men with narrow faces or smaller heads, as it can make their head appear even smaller.
2. Number 6 Buzz Cut
The number 6 Buzz Cut is slightly longer than the number 5, with a hair length of 3/4 inch. This style offers a bit more length to work with and can provide a softer, more natural look.
Celebrities such as David Beckham and Ryan Gosling have been seen sporting this cut, making it a popular choice for men who want a stylish yet low-maintenance haircut.
3. Number 7 Buzz Cut
The number 7 Buzz Cut offers a classic yet modern look, with a hair length of 7/8 inch. It is one of the most versatile buzz cuts as it can be styled in many different ways.
This cut works well for men with square face shapes or prominent jawlines, as it helps to accentuate these features.
4. Number 8 Buzz Cut
The number 8 Buzz Cut is the longest buzz cut that is still considered short, with a hair length of 1 inch. This style provides more hair to work with, making it a more versatile option.
It can be styled in many different ways and is a great choice for men who want a low-maintenance haircut but still want the option to style it differently from day to day.
5. Buzz Cut with Design
If you want to add a personal touch to your Buzz Cut, consider incorporating a design or pattern. This can be done by using a clipper to shave the design into the hair or by using hair dye to create a contrasting pattern.
Popular designs include stars, lightning bolts, and tribal patterns.
6. Styled Buzz Cut
If you want to add volume and texture to your Buzz Cut, consider using styling products and techniques. A small amount of pomade or wax can help to add texture and hold, while a blow dryer can help to create volume and shape.
You can also use a comb or your fingers to create a messy, textured look.
How to Choose the Right Buzz Cut Length
When it comes to getting a buzz cut, choosing the right length can make a big difference in how it looks on you. Here are some factors to consider to help you choose the buzz cut length that is perfect for you.
Factors to Consider
- Face Shape: The shape of your face plays a big role in determining the best buzz cut length for you. Those with round faces should opt for longer buzz cuts while those with angular faces can go shorter.
- Head Size: Those with larger head sizes may need to go a little shorter to avoid looking top-heavy, while those with smaller heads can go longer to add more dimensions to their face.
- Hair Type and Texture: Your hair type and texture will also play a role in the buzz cut length. Thicker hair can handle shorter lengths while finer hair should opt for longer cuts to avoid looking sparse.
- Personal Style: Your personal style is another factor to consider. If you prefer a low-maintenance look, then a shorter buzz cut will be easier to maintain. But if you want to style your hair daily, a longer cut may be more suitable.
Measuring the Length
The length of a buzz cut is determined by the clipper guard used, and each guard corresponds to a specific number. For example, a number 1 guard will result in a very short buzz cut, while a number 4 guard will leave your hair longer.
Knowing how to measure the length you want is essential in achieving the perfect buzz cut.
Overall, determining the right buzz cut length involves considering your face shape, head size, hair type, and personal style. Taking these factors into account will help you choose the perfect length to suit your needs and achieve your desired look.
Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving a Perfect Buzz Cut
If you’re looking for a low-maintenance haircut that’s stylish and practical, a buzz cut is a great option. Here’s how to achieve the perfect buzz cut:
- Clippers: Invest in a good quality clipper to achieve the perfect cut.
- Scissors: Use scissors to blend the sides and back and any areas that require more cutting.
- Comb: Use a comb to brush the hair and ensure all areas are properly trimmed.
- Mirror: A mirror is essential to ensure all areas are cut evenly and precisely.
- Towel: Use a towel to wipe clippings off your skin and around the work area.
Steps to Follow
- Clean hair and prepare tools: Start by washing your hair with shampoo to ensure it’s clean and free of dirt and oil. Prepare your tools within easy reach and ensure they’re clean and in good working condition.
- Select the appropriate length guard: Choose the length guard according to the desired length. Start with a longer guard and progress to a shorter one until the appropriate length is achieved.
- Start buzzing from the bottom up: Start cutting at the nape of your neck and work your way up using an upward movement. Use the comb to lift sections of hair and clip them off evenly. Repeat until all areas are buzzed.
- Blend the sides and back with scissors: After buzzing, use scissors to trim any areas that require more cutting to blend with the rest of the hair. Use small, precise cuts to create a smooth transition from the sides and back to the top of the head.
- Define the hairline and neckline: Use the clippers or scissors to define the hairline around the ears and neckline. This will give the cut a clean and distinct look.
- Clean up and style: Use the towel to remove any excess hair on your skin and clothes. Style your hair using your fingers, a brush, and hair gel or pomade for a polished look.
A buzz cut can be a bold and low-maintenance style that’s perfect for any occasion. Follow these simple steps to achieve a precise and tailored cut from the comfort of your own home.
Buzz Cut Maintenance Tips
Whether you have a fresh skin faded buzz cut or a balding buzz cut, maintaining your cut is important to keep it looking sharp. Here are some tips to help you take care of your buzz cut:
Washing and Conditioning
Washing and conditioning your hair is vital to keep your scalp healthy and avoid any scalp infections. It is recommended to wash your hair every 2-3 days, using a mild shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for short hair.
Avoid overwashing or using harsh chemicals that can dry out and damage your scalp, causing itchiness and dandruff.
Trimming and Touch-ups
Trimming your buzz cut helps to maintain its sharp look. It is recommended to trim the hair on the sides and back every 2-3 weeks, depending on how quickly your hair grows.
For a more professional touch-up, consider visiting a barbershop or salon to get your buzz cut trimmed by a professional.
Growing it Out
If you have decided to grow out your buzz cut, a little patience is required. It can take up to 2-3 months for hair to grow out from a buzz cut.
Regularly trim the back and sides of your hair while allowing the hair on top to grow longer. This will lead to a more gradual transition from a buzz cut to a longer hairstyle.